Orthodontics, is the science that delivers teeth and jaws to aesthetics and functional ideal. No matter the age, untreated orthodontic problems are getting worse. As time passed, as teeth can not be kept accurately clean enough because of ambiguity, tooth losscan be seen because of tooth decay and gum diseases. Abnormal closing may cause abrasion on teeth surfaces, chewing and speech difficulties and damage in supporting bone and gum tissues. With the orthodontic treatment, besides better dental health, your smile also improves and increases self-confidence.
Early assessment to be both timely detection of problems and also provides the opportunity for the most effective treatment. For this reason, have your child’s orthodontic examination before the age of 7. If there is an orthodontic problem observed, the orthodontist will determine the appropriate time for treatment.
Today, orthodontic treatments are not only being applied to childeren but applied to adults also. The difference of treatment in adults, is the longer duration of treatment. Although orthodontic treatment in adults is a long process, satisfying results are achieved.
Duration of orthodontic treatment varies between 6 to 36 months, according to the age of the patient, the disorder level of closing and the patient’s oral hygiene.
STARTING TIME OF ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT
Your child’s first orthodontic check must be done before seven years of age. Although teeth seem aligned, there may be a enseen closing problem at this age.
- Unbalanced face and jaw structure
- Functional suffer (chewing,speaking, and so on.)
- The presence of bad habits such as thumb sucking, nailbiting, cheek and lip biting
- Excessive jaw structures positioned ahead or behind.
- Front located teeth.
- No contact between the upper and lower jaws teeth or abnormal closing.
- Earlyor late loss of primary teeth.
- Perplexed, wrong located tooth, or the presence of unerupted teeth.
If a problem is detected at this age, the orthodontist will take you to the best time to start treatment. During this period, as aresult of early diagnosis, treatment of the problem can be started immediately so the current anomaly may disappear completely or orthodontic treatment in the second phase which will be held later will be easier:
- The growth of the jaw and more uniform placement of the permanent teeth on jaw structures are guided.
- Prevents bad habits that can damage the teeth and surrounding tissues.
- Structuraland functional disorders of the upper respiratory tract are treated by working inco-ordination with relevant medical disciplines.
- Inparticular, the possibility of trauma may occur due to the emplacement of the upper front teeth are prevented in the future.
- Improving an individual’sphysical appearance increases his/her self-confidence.
Although there are many benefits to have the controls at an early age, the active orthodontic treatment begins between the ages of 9-14. However, orthodontic treatment can be done in adults. Orthodontic treatment is mentioned for the kids that first come to mind, though, many adults today start treatment to find solutions to the problems of both aesthetic and functional.
For The Patient’s Attention!
– Orthodontic treatment patients who are applied wires, must be careful about the major points which are listed below in order to result in successful treatment.
– Do not eat soft or hard food by biting with the front teeth (sandwiches, burgers, toast, boiled corn, fruits, etc.)
– Eat your fruits peeling and splitting into smaller bites.
– Do not eat foods such as chips. If you absolutely want to eat chips powder the chips and than eat.
– Certainly do not eat dry fruit, shelled or unshelled.
– Keep hard foods away (bread, cereal, toast, popcorn, etc.)
– Do not chew gum.
– Do not consume sticky foods (caramel, gummy candies, etc.)
– Olive, cherry, black plum fruits of the first outside the core out and then Eat like.
– Pit olive, cherry, black plum fruits then eat.
– Brush your teeth two times a day, in the morning and atnight in the way your dentist told you. After each brush check your teeth for any remaining food residues on the wires, if it is not possible to reach by brush, use interface brush. If you can not provide a complete oral hygiene, discoloration and dental caries will occur.
– If you notice sharp protrusions or cords stings, bothering you place orthodontic wax.
– In the presence of disconnected or broken wires, please call and inform your doctor without waiting for the next appointment. Broken bracket sand wires affect your treatment negatively.
– Be sensitive to come to your appointments regularly. If you are unable to attend the appointment, please inform the clinic at least 1 day in advance and change your date or time. Missed appointment have negative impact on your treatment.
– At the first week after installing the orthodontic device, there may be complaints about pain, tenderness in the soft tissues, the wound. In this case, you can use your everyday pain-killer. (Children must use the pain-killers recommended by pediatricians)
– Bring all your orthodontic devices, your toothbrush and your toothpaste at each appointment and while waiting your doctor you may brush your teeth.